Originally JFK was known as Idlewild Airport, renamed in 1963 as a tribute to the country's 35th president John F. Kennedy.
Quick Info about JFK Airport
6 (Terminal 1, Terminal 2, Terminal 4, Terminal 5, Terminal 7, Terminal 8)
Queens, NY 11430
Distance from Manhattan
Approximately 15 miles (24 km)
Distance to Times Square
A taxi to Times Square will take approximately 40 minutes
JFK Important Phone Numbers
Over 59 million annually
Click here for departures and arrival information
Things to Know Before You Visit
Airlines Operating From JFK Airport
Aeroflot, Air China, Air France, Alitalia, Austrian Airlines, Azerbaijan Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Cayman Airways, China Eastern Airlines, EVA Air, Interjet, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Norwegian, Philippine Airlines, Royal Air Maroc, Saudia, Turkish Airlines, Viva Aerobus.
Delta Air Lines (domestic flights except for flights to Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle/Tacoma)
Aer Lingus, Cape Air, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue, TAP Air Portugal
Aerolineas Argentinas, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, British Airways, Eurowings, Iberia, Icelandair, LOT Polish Airlines, Norwegian Air, Ukraine International Airlines
Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Ethiopian Airlines, Finnair, Iberia, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian
Public Transportation and Taxis
When you reach the airport, follow the signs for the taxi stands; an attendant will help you find a cab. Although, taxis are an iconic part of New York City, you can also book your ride from Cars. The drivers are more reliable and even you can get chauffeur service and experience luxury.
Choose from Go Airlink, NYC Airporter shuttles, or any other van company. At the ground transportation area of the airport, you can purchase the tickets from the shuttle desk.
To connect to the NYC subway system, a visitor needs to take the AirTrain to the Sutphin Boulevard/Archer Avenue JFK Airport station in Jamaica, Queens, to connect to the E, J, or Z trains, also can take the AirTrain to the Howard Beach Station to connect to the A train. If taking the Long Island Railroad (LIRR), connect to the AirTrain at Jamaica Station.
You can find 5 bus lines - Q3, Q6, Q7, Q10, and B15, which connects the airport to Brooklyn and Queens. From Terminal 5, all of the buses drop off and pick up passengers.
Where to Shop
Visitors can find ample shopping opportunities in all the terminals, including Books & Magazines, Convenience Shopping, Duty Free, Electronics, Fashion & Accessories, Florist, Gifts & Souvenirs, Spirits & Wine, and Travel Essentials.
JFK Airport Lounges
Air France Lounge & Lufthansa Lounge
Delta Sky Club
Air India Lounge, Delta Sky Club Lounge, El Al King David Lounge, Emirates Lounge, Etihad Lounge, Swiss Lounge, Virgin Clubhouse, Wing Tips Lounge
JFK Wi-Fi and Charging Stations
At JFK, free Wi-Fi access is there in all public areas. To connect your device, select the network “_Free JFK WiFi,” and then “Free unlimited wifi.” For your help, 24/7 customer support is available, just call at 800-880-4117.
JFK Airport Hotels
This airport has various hotels ranges from 2- to 4-star to suit your needs and budgets. We have short-listed some of the best hotels which are located in or between 1.7 miles from the terminals.
On Airport Hotel
6 central Terminal Area Jamaica, NY 11430
Off Airport Hotel
Comfort Inn & Suites
137-30 Redding Street, Ozone Park, NY 11417
Days Inn & Suites
137-08 Redding Street, Ozone Park, NY 11417
Radisson JFK Airport
135-30 140th St., Jamaica, NY 11436
138-10 135th Ave., Queens, NY 11436
Where to Eat and Drink
Visitors can find all the fast-food staples at each terminal, but to enjoy a longer meal, we have narrowed some of the best restaurants & bars for you by the terminal.
- Martini Bar - Departures Level -S Concourse Gate 9
- Soy & Sake - Departures Level - Gate 6
- The LOCAL - Departures Level- Gate 4
- BKLYN Beer Garden - Opposite Gate 67
- Croque Madame - Gates 62-63
- Due Amici - Opposite Gate 62
- Shiso - Opposite Gate 64
- Tagliare - Gate 68
- Buffalo Wild Wings - Gate B26
- The Palm Bar & Grille - Retail Hall - West
- Tigin's Irish Pub & Restaurant - Gate A7
- Uptown Brasserie - Gate B32
- Urban Crave - Gate B46
- Blue Smoke on the Road (Temporarily Closed) - Gate B37
- Canal St. Noodle House (Temporarily Closed) - Gate A3
- Caviar House & Prunier Seafood Bar (Temporarily Closed) - Retail Hall - East
- Central Diner (Temporarily Closed) - Arrivals Hall - West
- Five Borough Food Hall (Temporarily Closed) - Retail Hall - West
- Le Grand Comptoir (Temporarily Closed) - Retail Hall - West
- Mi Casa Cantina and Restaurant (Temporarily Closed) - Gate B23
- Pizza Vino (Temporarily Closed) - Gate B28
- AeroNuova - Marketplace
- Artichoke Pizza - Food Hall
- Custom Burger / Eggy Weggy - Food Hall
- H&H Bagel - Food Hall
- New York Sports Grill - Gates 9-10
- Re:Vive Bars - Gate 18
- Re:Vive Bars - Gate 6
- Re:Vive Bars - Gates 24-25
- Re:Vive Bars - Outside Food Hall
- Re:Vive Bars - Gates 14-15
- 5ive Steak (Temporarily Closed) - Marketplace
- Away Café (Temporarily Closed) - Opposite Security
- Caribbean Kitchen (Temporarily Closed) - Food Hall
- Deep Blue Sushi (Temporarily Closed) - Marketplace
- Loft (Temporarily Closed) - Opposite Gate 26
- Lucy's Asian Kitchen (Temporarily Closed) - Food Hall
- Market Table & Feature Entrees Bar (Temporarily Closed) - Food Hall
- La Vie (Temporarily Closed) - Gate 22 Concourse Entrance
- Piquillo (Temporarily Closed) - Marketplace
- Revolucion (Temporarily Closed) - Gates 11-12
- Le Grand Comptoir - Food Court
- Brooklyn Rebel (Temporarily Closed) - Food Court
- Burger Joint (Temporarily Closed) - Food Court
- Kobeyaki (Temporarily Closed) - Food Court
- Long Island Brew House (Temporarily Closed) - Food Court
- Bobby Van's Steakhouse (Temporarily Closed) - Across from Gate 14
- Cascata (Temporarily Closed) - Gate 34
- Drink Martini Bar (Temporarily Closed) - Gate 4
- New York Sports Bar (Temporarily Closed) - Gate 10
- O'Neal's Restaurant (Temporarily Closed) - Gate 6
- SoHo Bistro (Temporarily Closed) - Gate 43
- Also, you can find Children’s Special Food, Coffee & Tea, Grab & Go stops at every terminal. Click hereto have a look at various numbers of eateries.
Additional Airport Information
- Visitors can find amenities including nursing suites, pet relief stations, baggage storage, currency exchange, medical office, and ATMs throughout JFK.
- If you want to switch to another terminal, visitors have to first pass through security one more time.
- In Terminal 5, visitors can relax and enjoy some fresh air at the open-air deck.
- In Terminal 5 and 8, there are children’s play areas, designed with a pirate-themed playground near gate 12, a JetBlue aviation-themed play area near gate 26, and in Terminal 8, you can find children play area near the American Airlines Admirals Club.
- JFK has 6 nursing suites located in Terminal 4, 5, and 8.
- Visitors can also find the space for pet relief inside JFK airport at Terminal 1, 4, 5, 7, and 8.
- Visitors won't find any indoor smoking areas at JFK, including electronic cigarettes.
- A spiritual place - interfaith chapel, is located in the departure area of Terminal 4 and near the check-in area of Terminal 1.
- Duty-free spots can be found in Terminals 1, 4, 5, 7, and 8.